At Southern Eye Centers, we provide comprehensive eye exams for people of all ages in Baton Rouge, LA and Plaquemine, LA. During the exam, our eye doctors will evaluate your vision, check for signs of eye diseases and other issues, and assess how well your eyes work together.
What to expect during a comprehensive eye exam
During a comprehensive eye exam, we use advanced diagnostic technology to detect early signs of eye diseases and other medical conditions, often before you have symptoms. While tests will vary depending on your eye health and risk factors, comprehensive eye exams generally include the following:
- Medical history evaluation
- Assessment of muscle balance
- Color vision
- Assessment of visual acuity (the sharpness of your vision) and determining your correct eyeglass prescription.
- Eye pressure measurement to help screen for glaucoma.
- Visual field test to determine if you have blind spots or peripheral vision issues.
- Cover test to identify crossed eyes or binocular vision problems.
- Slit lamp exam to detect diseases and conditions affecting the front of the eye.
- Dilated eye exam to monitor the health of the retina and optic nerve.
- Ocular health (digital images of the retina)
- If certain eye health problems are detected during the exam, other specialized tests may be performed.
The exam may take up to an hour, depending on the number and complexity of tests required to fully examine your eyes. All the tests in a comprehensive eye exam are painless, and your eye doctor or technician will clearly explain each test before performing them.
How often should I get an eye exam?
We recommend getting a comprehensive eye health and vision examination on a yearly basis, because many eye conditions and diseases may lead to permanent vision loss if not detected early. During the exam, our eye doctors not only determine the proper prescription for your vision correction, but also examine the eyes for early signs of eye diseases, some of which have little to no symptoms in the early stages.
What are the benefits of a comprehensive eye exam?
During your eye exam at Southern Eye Centers in Baton Rouge, LA or Plaquemine, LA, you will receive immediate feedback about your eye health. Your eye doctor will test for a range of issues, including nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, focusing problems, other vision problems, and eye diseases. Depending on the results, they can prescribe eyeglasses or contact lenses if necessary and provide helpful information about your vision and eye health. If your doctor finds any issues during the exam, they will work with you to develop a treatment plan customized to your specific needs.
One of the most important benefits of comprehensive eye exams is they can detect eye diseases in their early stages. Some eye diseases happen so gradually that patients may not notice symptoms until significant vision loss has occurred. If left untreated, these diseases can cause irreversible damage. Regular eye exams help to prevent vision loss and ensure you receive treatment as early as possible.
Comprehensive eye exam at Southern Eye Centers
At Southern Eye Centers, our team of eye doctors and eye care professionals is here to help you protect your eye health and vision and see clearly for years to come. Contact our office in Baton Rouge, LA or Plaquemine, LA to schedule your next eye exam.